Posted by: Bess | 2009-03-24

Hungry all the time

Hi Doc, My new year' s resolution was to lose some excess wieght and so far I' m doing well - I only have about 3kg to go. The problem is, about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I started feeling hungry all the time. Generally I eat three moderate meals a day with only fruit inbetween, but sometimes I find myself so hungry after meals that it' s like I' ve barely eaten. I have been exercising more, so could this be the result of increased metabolism? I' ve also failed to lose any more weight in the last month.

Dear Bess
It is possible that the diet you are using contains too few carbohydrates (?) and protein to sustain you if you are doing intensive exercise. Carbs are our best source of fuel for exercise and as they have a low energy content (16 kJ/gram) you need to ensure that you have some carbs with each meal. Adding low-fat protein like low-fat yoghurt and cottage cheese or very lean meat or fish or a boiled egg, will also counteract the hunger pangs and keep your blood sugar more constant. Because fat has such a high energy content (37 kJ/gram) keep on using only small quantities. Check out the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) on this Website as an example of what you can eat. When you are close to your goal weight, weightloss does tend to slow down. You can try doing more cardio exercise than working with weights so that you burn more energy to stimulate weightloss again.

Posted by: Senzo | 2009-03-24

I experience the same thing Bess but the problem with me is I' m gaining weight cause I nibble a lot...I execerse 5 times a week and now i started taking weights I don' t know if that is the problem. Please advise Diet Doc

Reply to Senzo