Question
Posted by: ANITA DE SOUSA | 2011-08-01

HUNGRY ??

hello Scottie,
Please can you help. I feed my Douchound 2 year old on Hills trim
diet, as she is a kilo and half over weight. She always seems to be hungry and cries for more food after she has eaten.
alway s looking for something to eat.
I give her 50grms in the moring and 50grms at night.
Should I increase or just ignore her which is very difficult.
thanks
Anita

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Anita, nice to hear from you. What I would suggest first, is to make sure with your vet that there are no medical reason for the constant hunger, such as worms etc.
Once that has been ruled out I would suggest in addition to a lot of exercise, that you feed her at lest 3 times per day, breaking her daily rations down accordingly into 3 or 4 portions.

What you can try as well, is to have a toy such as a King, soften one (or more ) of her meal allowances, abnd stuff this inside the Kong. It will take her longer to eat and keep her busy at the same time.

In addition to daily walks, play some fetch games (balls' frisbees's) etc with her. Dont go too fast with the walks, especially with this breed that is prone to back problems, rather ask your vet what he thinks is reasonable, and work up, even going out morning and evening. The walking will, in addition to physical exercise supply her with mental stimulation. Good luck!

2
Posted by: JINX | 2011-08-01

I have a australian lab, 7 years old, and have adopted a 2 year old Lab x. But she demands attention, is constantly under my feet. We are having her spayed, her previous owners were not good to her. She appears to be fearful and if you raise your voice, she grouches. My lab feels neglecte. Help

Reply to JINX
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-08-01

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert