Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2009/10/05

Humping cat

Hi Doc!

My pup a miniature doberman, female, 6mnths old now.
She has been humping our cat for the past 2mnths!
Besides this being hiliarious and the cat does not seem to mind I cannot understand why she would be doing this as she is female! Is it normal as I on sat.I saw this other ladies pup trying to humpa small bush...
Is it just because the cat is the same height and would be doing it to something else if there was no cat? She also nibble the cat on the ear when she does this.
Is she not too young to be becoming sexual or is it natural?
She is but still a little pup.
She also does not like little kids and new people in the home and will bark at them non stop, we have to put her out of the house and then only she will be quiet.

Another problem is she will wee in the house.We have tried to train him since he came to us, at that time he was trained with paper but then he just started doing it anywhere.
We let him spend more time outside now and when he wakes up we put him out to wee.Still sometimes we find puddles in the house.How do we go about doing this?I have read up and done everything in the book since we got him at 3weeks old but it hasnt worked.

Dear Kelly

some female dogs show this behaviour and is not always hormone driven. I would strongly suggest that you discourage her strongly from doing this as this behaviour can quickly get learned and then you sit with the behaviour for life.

You get 'puppy drops' that you can use to train puppies but you have to take her out every 30 minutes and make a big fuss if she goes outside.