Hula Hoop

I see someone asked about a hula hoop on this forum, what does a hula hoop do for you and is it a good exercising method?

Yes, this is a question that has come up often recently - I'm not always on top of the latest trends in fitness but this is clearly something that has grown in popularity recently.

To answer, I don't think it's great. Certainly, by itself, it won't do a great deal. I do think that if you are doing a complete programme, then the hula hoop might do some good for core strength and stability - the motion makes use of the hips and lower back, and so it has merit. But for fitness, it's not the best and the same goes for weight loss. It's just not stand alone, and only a small part of a full programme.