Question
Posted by: Louise | 2009/11/23

Huge appetite

I have recently started quite a heavy training programme. Suddenly I have this huge appetite that I find impossible to suppress. Is it normal for one' s appetite to increase if one exercise more? I don' t mind eating more to sustain the exercise, the appetite is just scary as I normally don' t worry about food and now I am like a worm?

Dear Louise
The human body is a marvellous system which always strives to retain a balance. If you suddenly exercise really hard and use up 2 or 3 or 5 times more energy than you would normally require, then your body is going to let you know that it needs more fuel and you will get hungry. So make quite sure that you are having sufficient healthy food, esp carbohydrates to support your body's energy requirement. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain information about diets for individuals who do intensive training.

1

Dear Louise