Question
Posted by: fi fi | 2008/09/03

Hubby with low sperm count

My husband has a low sperm count and after a year of trying th get pregnant the gynae has put me on a course of Fertomid . am i being thick - why do i need to take the fertility drugs and not hubby - it doesn' t make sense.

Any advice?

Dear Fifi

The question hinges around the actual level of sperm count and whether there are any additional sperm related abnormalities such as low morphology or low motility index. Should the only problem be a moderated decrease in sperm count and all other factors are favourable then the rational for you using a fertility enhancement drug would be to increase the likelihood of conception by means of increasing the number of eggs released at ovulation. This may allow a better fertilization ratio and thereby increase the likelihood of conception. Furthermore if sperm count is the only abnormality then there are other methods by means of which sperm count may be enhanced and this should be discussed with you practitioner or fertility specialist/urologist.

Answered by: Dr. M.I.Cassim