Posted by: Nkoko | 2009-08-14

Hubby telling son.....

my hubby told me that our son was asking him question about when we met and when he told him we met while I was in college he said " oh I thought you and mom met when you were younger" . Then our son asked did you date anyone before mommy and hubby said yes we did date other people and our son asked who did you date and he told our son the names of the people we dated. I was appalled, I don' t understand why he would do that?? Pls help me see this differently. My son is 7 years old how do you tell him the names of your exes and so on. Pls help!!!!

These ae peculiar qustions for a kid to ask at that age. Giving names and addresses is ridiculous --- what, is he collecting references ? It wouldnt do any harm, but its a silly thing to do. When a kid asks such odd questions, it's best to act like a shrink --- it's more useful to ask WHY he asks these questions, than it is to answer them

Posted by: ? | 2009-08-14

I agree with Dee. Yes it was probably wrong of your husband to go on to list the names (which is a bit freaky), but I don' t think your son will be affected by this, or think any differently of your relationship with your husband.

The fact that he acknowledges that people date others before marriage, means he' s okay with it, and understands that " mummy &  daddy"  must have also dated before marriage.

But your hubby should have still been a little cleverer about it. Men.

Reply to ?
Posted by: Dee | 2009-08-14

Nkoko, I don' t think it' s a crisis. Your hubby would' ve probably been better off not saying, but I don' t see how it can cause irreparable psychological damage to your son. Your son probably won' t even know these people, or remember the names, hell he doesn' t even know why he asked that.

Reply to Dee