Question
Posted by: Lexie | 2010/04/13

Hubby HIV+

My hubby is HIV+ and I am HIV-, we want to have a baby. What options do we have that will make us fulfill our dreams? Is there a doctor we can go to? We are in DBN.

Please help.

Dear Lexie

It is important for you to see a fertility specialist in the Durban area. You and your husband will need to be assessed fully and your husband’s HIV status that is the CD4 count, the viral load and semen analysis parameters will need to be assessed fully. Your best option in trying to achieve a pregnancy with the least amount of transmission of the virus would be and in-vitro fertilization with and ICSI procedure and a sperm wash. Ideally an IVF cycle should be commenced only once the CD4 count of your husband is good and he has an extremely low or undetectable viral load.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

3
Posted by: Lexie | 2010/04/26

Thank you very much for this info Dr. Dasoo. I will make sure that we go and see a fertility Specialist.

Reply to Lexie
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/04/21

Dear Lexie

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: S | 2010/04/13

Hi. I live in Durban too, and would suggest you see Doc Hansen at St. Augustines. He is excellent.

Reply to S