Posted by: L | 2011-06-29

Hubby and ADD?

Good evening, I have been married to my husband for 18 years. However he has had some strange habits that have bothered me which I did not notice whilst dating him. I thought perhaps he would outgrow them . They are : Watching tv till early hours of the morning, always going out to visit friends coming home late at night, when at the dinner table or in restaurant, he finds something to play with i.e. chopsticks whilswt waiting food, or when in a large shop i.e. Makro, bounces a ball up and down while we shop, is always on the cellphone with varoius people, keeps talking on his phone whilst driving (not having an affair), thereby practising bad driving skills and endangering our lives, etc. etc. I told him the other day that I think he needs medication, he is always so otherwise engaged, like a small child fascinated with a new toy. It drives me nuts!! Our children are 18, 13, and 9. They notice too. When someone speaks to him, he doesnt seem to understand the full implication of the statement or question and gives a half answer or something not related.
PS he was in the SAPS for 20 years, could it be the stress? He is running his own business now, and I notice when staff or his partners ask stuff, he gives incorrect or not well-thought through respsonses. I get nasty at times and say he needs medication or a brain shock, he just laughs! The kids mock him all the time, yet I think its a seroius matter and he is not aware.

Most of your complaints sound like normal behaviour for a male. I do however, suggest that he consults a psychiatrist for an examination to rule out any pathological cause for his behaviour.