Posted by: Angie | 2009-06-23

Hubbies diet

HI doc, can you please help me out with a diet for hubby. He is a very active man turning 31 this year.
We eat a balanced diet at home but I noticed that he' s getting a bit insecure about his body. I know that his body mass of 108kg must sound huge but he has a big bone structure and the only thing that really seems overweight with him is his stomach. He is 1.78m. We gym at least 3 times a week (doing mostly cardio) he plays squash 2h a week and hardly ever sits still at home.

He drinks a lot of water and drinks alcohol on social occasions. I' m very health conscious and everything I prepare is grilled, cooked or steamed. We eat only lean meat and fish, little starch and a lot of fruit and veg. I have noticed that his blood sugar drops occasionally and he then goes for the sweets but that shouldn’ t make such a difference? What should his kJ intake be per day?

Dear Angie
Your hubby's present BMI = 34,1 which is in the obese range, so it would be an excellent idea for him to lose some weight. If he could reduce his energy intake to 10 000 kJ per day and keep up the exercise then he should start losing. Reducing his weight to 98 kg would get him out of the obese range and make him feel much fitter. Check out the slimming diets on the DietDoc site by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' to use as a guideline.