Posted by: HRT petrifief Lady | 2009-01-27

HRT or Not

Dear Sir/ Madam

I would like to turn to you for assistance.

I am a 50-year old lady and only have one son. I used to live with my parents until recently. I am now living on my own (for 8months now). This has required of me to become more active and I have lost some weight and people have commented on how good I look.

I went to my GP last week for a check up. Blood tests were done &  it was found that I am menopausal &  that I might have to go onto Hormone Replacement Therapy. But before this option was to be considered, the GP recommended that I needed undergo a Bone Density Test first.

I underwent the Bone Density Test earlier today &  the Radiologist advised that there are some areas in the lower spine &  the one hip where the bone density is low. The Radiotherepist also indicated that it is likely that the GP will recommend that I will have to go onto Hormone Replacement Therapy.

I am not happy about going onto HRT, since I' ve heard about the increased risk of Heart Attacks, Strokes, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, DVT, Blood Clots, etc. when using the conventional medication available today.

Are there any alternatives (e.g. natural products, food, etc) available that one can use, take or other methods that can be used instead of going onto HRT?

How can I prevent the bone density from getting any worse? since I have been taking a Calcium supplement for years.

What am I doing wrong?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anon

The HRT debate rages on!!

From a medical perspective there are other options for enhancing bone density, but these require either oral medication or intravenous infusions. Both there options carry the risk of side effects.

Calcium supplements have not really been shown to markedly improve bone density, however poor Vit D status (even though we have lots of sunlight) is proving to be increasingly common.

I would suggest to ask your GP to test your Vit D level as the combination of calcium and Vit D is beneficial for bone density management.

Weight resistance exercises are very benefical in assisting with bone strengthening and I would certainly recommend that you embark on a well prescribed exercise program.

Diet is naturally very important in providing optimum bone nutrition and should include lots of vegetables (as much variety as possible), fruits, whole grains, salads etc. Avoiding anti nutrients (sugar, processed foods, alcohol, fast food, high red meat intake etc.) is also important.

If your bone density is in the severely osteoporotic range consulting with a Rheumatologist for advise on the medical mangement would be advisable, otherwise adopting the above approach, if strictly followed, will certainly reduce the progression.