Posted by: HRT Petrified Lady | 2009-01-27

HRT or Not???

Dear Sir/ Madam

I would like to turn to you for assistance.

I am a 50-year old lady and only have one son. I used to live with my parents until recently. I am now living on my own (for 8months now). This has required of me to become more active and I have lost some weight and people have commented on how good I look.

I went to my GP last week for a check up. Blood tests were done &  it was found that I am menopausal &  that I might have to go onto Hormone Replacement Therapy. But before this option was to be considered, the GP recommended that I needed undergo a Bone Density Test first.

I underwent the Bone Density Test earlier today &  the Radiologist advised that there are some areas in the lower spine &  the one hip where the bone density is low. The Radiotherepist also indicated that it is likely that the GP will recommend that I will have to go onto Hormone Replacement Therapy.

I am not happy about going onto HRT, since I' ve heard about the increased risk of Heart Attacks, Strokes, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, DVT, Blood Clots, etc. when using the conventional medication available today.

Are there any alternatives (e.g. natural products, food, etc) available that one can use, take or other methods that can be used instead of going onto HRT?

How can I prevent the bone density from getting any worse? since I have been taking a Calcium supplement for years.

What am I doing wrong?

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Menopause is when a woman's monthly menstrual periods and ovulation eventually come to an end. It also signals other changes to the body and mind, brought on in part because the body begins producing smaller amounts of the hormones estrogen and progesterone (among others). The menopausal period is different for each individual woman. Menopause typically occurs between the ages of 45 and 55.

Menopause is not a disease. It is a natural process in a woman's life. How a woman views this time of her life can have a lot to do with how frequent and severe her symptoms are. If menopause is viewed as the end of youth and sexuality, this time will be much more difficult than if it is viewed as the next, natural phase of life. With a proper diet, nutritional supplements, and exercise, most of the unpleasant side effects of menopause can be minimized, if not eliminated.

There are several natural alternatives and your pharmacist would be a good person to discuss this with. Continued calcium intake is also necessary as calcium not only strengthens the bone structure, but is utilised in our daily metabolism. A supplement is fine, but vegetables, fruit etc all contain calcium. It is said that the "greener" the vegetable, the higher in calcium content. Example - Broccoli . A healthy lifestyle can only be beneficial.

Thus - please look forward to this next great phase in your life - and enjoy it!!