Question
Posted by: Vegan | 2010/06/23

HRT for sterilised female cat?

My cat started acting out of character after I had her sterilized.

She became semi-feral, roaming the streets, refusing to come
home, not eating the food I provide or using the indoor litter boxes &  became hostile towards my other cats. Resently she also started hissing at me when I picked her up.

My initial thought was that she was sick, but our vet gave her a clean bill of health. Her shots are up to date &  she has been vaccinated against FIV &  FeLU.

I volenteer at a local organization that trap, sterilize &  rehome feral cats &  worked with a very feral female kitten that refused to be tamed or approached by cats &  humans. The shelter''s vet started her on hormones &  the result was astounding. She became gentle, even starting to enjoy being stroked &  is now the shelter''s mascot, fostering new motherless kittens brought in from feral colonies.

Can HRT also help for my cat? I really miss the sweet, loveable cat that I had before the sterilization.

Hi Vegan

Generally it is quite unusual to get such a dramatic behavioural change post op. Some cats can get aggressive post op esp when other house hold cats want to interact as the operated cat is painful/stressed.

Have you introduced any other cats into the environment following the sterilisation as this maybe the cause of the problem and not the surgical procedure.

You can try Feliway and/or Depo-Provera (Medroxyprogesterone acetate) which is a synthetic form of the hormone progesterone (sex hormone). Feliway available from your local veterinary practice/vet shop. Depo-Provera can only be administered by your veterinary surgeon.

3
Posted by: anna | 2010/07/21

you should try homeopathic medication on your pet- it is not harmful and will help with the moods you are seeing in them

Reply to anna
Posted by: skeptimist | 2010/07/19

felines on on hrt? wow!

btw, i was on depo provera for 11 years... wonder why it did zero for MY moods? LOL

Reply to skeptimist
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/06/23

Hi Vegan

Reply to CyberVet