Question
Posted by: Just me | 2010-01-16

HRT for life due to oopherectomy?

I am 47. Had an oopherectomy at age 39 due to years of pain and suffering due to Endometriosis. I was put on Climara patch for 7 years and took myself off as I heard about the risks of cancer if one is on it for too long. I am 1.6m tall and weigh 82.5 kgs at present. Lost 4kgs in the past two weeks... and am trying to lose to get to 60kgs, God willing.

My health is good. I am taking blood pressure tablets, but have my BP under control. My problem is the hot flushes...... Also, I was told by friends that, if your ovaries were removed, you should be on HRT for life. Is this true?

Which doctor should I see to check my hormone levels because I am positive that they are totally upside down and this obviously can cause one to not be very happy. And what tests do they do, or rather what do I ask my doctor.

Thank you in advance.

I am not sure that you need tests. If your ovaries were removed, then you are now menopausal with low oestrogen levels. You could try symptomatic treatment for the hot flushes, and there are various herbal remedies around, or else HRT with the small risk it carries of cancer.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-01-18