Posted by: Susan | 2012-03-05

HRT and Knee operation

Hi Doc, I am going for a knee arthroscopy operation 11 days from today, is it enough time to stop HRT to be safe as prevent blood clots during the operation etc. please?

Also I am just plain tired of HRT and patches, and would like to stop permanently. How long before I will be at my " Pre-Hrt"  weight please, as HRT caused weight gain, about 4kg and lots of water retention. (Im 56y)
Thank you!

You can not stop taking HRT cold turkey. Ideally you will have to wean yourself off over two to four months, depending on the product. I therefore, suggest that you consult the doctor who prescribed the HRT, regarding the weaning off process.

I am unable to comment on how long it will take for you to loose the extra 4 kilograms.