Question
Posted by: Anne | 2012/03/19

HRT and immune function and multiple sclerosis

Good Day Cyber Pharmacist,

I am 47 and blood tests have shown that I have now entered the menopause.

Because I have low bone density (due to frequent infusions of Solumedrol), my GP has recommended that I now start using HRT in the form of a skin patch.

My question is: Does HRT, in any way, boost the immune system?

The reason I am asking is because I have an autoimmune disorder and should avoid taking products that boost the immune system.

Anne

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Anne

The immune system is closely linked to the nervous and endocrine systems. The decline in sex hormones with menopause may lead to a loss of regulatory control and thus may explain the higher incidence of autoimmune disease as well as the increased
incidence of urinary tract infections in postmenopausal compared with premenopausal women.
To date there has been little research on immune function in postmenopausal women, and the impact of HRT on the immune system has largely been ignored.

I'm hardly an expert on the field and you may benefit from consulting a specialist if in doubt. However, it is hypothesized that estrogen increases the risk of autoimmune disorders while progesterone (the main precursor of corticosteroids and in progesterone-deficient women, restoration of normal progesterone levels may enhance normal corticosteroid production) suppress the autoimmune attack.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/03/21

Hi Anne

Reply to pharmacist