Question
Posted by: Laetitia | 2011/04/08

HRT

I take Estrofem 5mg daily. I also take Melatonin from SOLAL products when I can''t sleep. I''ve read that melanin inhibits the HRT''s effect. Is it true?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi L

This is an interesting topic an a lot of debate is doing the rounds as a result of it.

Melatonin naturally decreases as women age, and post-menopausal women usually have low melatonin levels. During the perimenopausal phase, the transition from regular menstruation to menopause, hormones such as estrogen and melatonin fluctuate unpredictably. Melatonin levels are often high during perimenopause.

When a woman has high melatonin levels, her estrogen tends to be low, and when she has low melatonin levels, her estrogen tends to be higher. Melatonin may have estrogen-reducing properties, and melatonin treatments for PMS and perimenopause may work by affecting the natural estrogen levels in the body.

Right now I wont suggest that you taking Melatonin on the odd occasion will affect your HRT dramatically, but it is something to keep in mind.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/04/11

Hi L

Reply to pharmacist