Question
Posted by: Tasha | 2008/09/02

Hpv virus,

My boyfriend was diagnosed with genital warts and was given Aldara as a treatment. All of the warts dissapeared but we have noticed that they are reappearing on different places? Why is this is he going to have to continue with Aldare for the rest of this life?

The HPV virus does not disappear but remains in the body. The symptoms, in this case warts, can be treated but often recur. Good diet and boosting of the immune system can help prevent recurrences.

3
Posted by: Med student | 2008/09/02

Sorry forgot to say that many patients are asymptomatic. And in many cases both partners need to be treated! This virus can also be contacted through non-sexual routes, so it may be possible that you may be the carrier and reinfecting him? It would be best for both of you to see a Dr and get screened, he could have passed it on to you or vice versa!!!

The sooner you get tested and treated the better the prognosis!!!

Reply to Med student
Posted by: Med student | 2008/09/02

Hi there! We are currently studying STI' s and hope I can help!

1st off I have to tell you that this disease can cause cancer so both of you need to get screened ASAP, this is the major cause for cervical cancer!!

This disease can be cured and persistence is rare but can occur because of resistance to treatment. The majority of infections will regress spontaneously. Only a small % of patients will persist and MAY develop pre-malignant lesions or invasive anogenital malignancies!!

Tha treatment will include physical removal: surgery, laser, cryotherapy, topical caustic agents such as Salicylic acid and Podophyllin, and a DNA synthesis inhibitor such as 5-flourouracil.
Immune modulating: Imiquimod (topical cream)

I hope this helped!! My advice: see a gynae asap!!!!

Reply to Med student
Posted by: *** | 2008/09/02

As far as I understand it - HPV virus is never cured however you can control it with a healthy diet. The warts usually appear when your immune system is down. Maybe jsut double check with a dr?

Reply to ***