Posted by: Wondering | 2009-03-24

HPV vaccine

I have heard about the hpv vaccine that can prevent genital warts and cervical cancer. I was infected and treated for genital warts in December-January, i havent had any again yet since January. My question is, would the vaccine help to prevent cervical cancer and new genital warts even though I' m already infected with the virus? I am also unsure if the virus can ever go away completely?
I am 24 and would do anything for the warts not to come back, so any advice would be taken into consideration, thank you!

Dear Wondering
Current preventive vaccines protect against the two HPV types (16 and 18) that cause about 70% of cervical cancers worldwide. Even if you don't have these strains, getting the vaccine will be worthwhile. You should always use safe sex practices to prevent re-infection ( condoms! ) Currently a vaccine is being develop that will actually treat current infections and this should be available within a few years.