Posted by: Daisy | 2009-01-10

Hello Dr
Please could you advise me on the following. I am HPV neg and would like to know a little more about the vaccine that prevents this virus. My gynae has recommended it even though I am over 25 and sexually active in a monogamous and have already had a child. I would very much like to have vaccine as my mother had cancer of the cervix as well as my aunt and I am very scared of getting it too.
However, the vaccine is very expensive and the course is over a six month period and my husband and I where hoping to try for another baby in the next few months so I am a little nervous of what effects the vaccine could have on conception and the baby.
I have always kept up to date with my check ups and all paps have come back clear.
My questions are:
Would you recommend the vaccine based on my family history of cervical cancer?
What effects will the vaccine have on a baby if I do conceive shortly after the course of vaccines?
Thank you for your time, I appreciate your input on this forum.

You probably will benefit from the vaccine. Animal studies have shown no harm in pregnancy but there are no human studies. Why don't you wait till after you have had your baby to have the vaccine?