Posted by: Star | 2009-03-11

HPV Testing &  Genital Warts

Hi, I' d like to know if there is a any way to test if one carries the HPV virus. I am a 42 year-old female. Is vaccination an option if you already carry the virus?

Also, can genital warts be spread through oral sex and would it appear on the outside of the mouth / chin?

You can be tested for HPV. If you already have the strains which cause problems, then there is no point in having the vaccine. Oral genital contact can spread HPV. The warts would be on the genitalia.

Posted by: cervical cancer | 2009-03-11

Yes, you can be tested for HPV and for the specific strain that you carry. Obviously there' s no point in being vaccinated against, for example, HPV-18 if you already have HPV-18. I have a different strain from those covered by the vaccine, so my gynae advised me to get the vaccine anyway to prevent me getting other strains of HPV, even though I am married and in a monogamous relationship.

Not sure about the oral part, sorry.

Reply to cervical cancer