Posted by: Lee | 2009-03-15

HPV recurring after 7 yrs

Dear doc,
I picked up the HPV virus 7 years ago and ended up with genital warts. Luckily I cought it very quickly and was completely treated with Aldara. Unfortunately I passed it on to my husband at the time, but it was also treated successfully.
My question is, since the symptoms have never reoccured after the first time, will I-|-the virus (and symtoms) on to a new partner. Or do you beliv the virus was killed off.

If there is still a risk, how can I prevent transfer of the virus (since I picked it u initially while using a condom)?

The virus is probably still there even though you have no symptoms. You could transmit it to a new partner. Condoms are the only way to prevent this, though they are not foolproof.