Question

HPV Misdiagnosis??

I had a terrible vaginal infection about a month ago and went to see my gynae. She took a swab and blood test to test for genital herpes. The swab came out positive but the blood test was negative. I went for a repeat blood test 2 weeks later which was also negative. My husband also went for a blood test and it was also negative! Now my gynae wants me to go for ANOTHER blood test in 6 weeks time as she thinks that it could manifest itself? What am I to do? Could this be misdiagnosis? Why would all the blood tests be negative and should the swab result take precedence over the blood result?
Does this mean I do have herpes? What if the next blood test comes out to be negative again? I have always been in a monogamous relationship - howcome my husband'  s results were also negative? I had a similar infection almost 6 years ago where we also went to blood tests when they suspected herpes but once again they were both negative? How long does this disease take to manifest? I was on a strong dose of antibiotics and cortisone for bronchitis which I completed a week before my outbreak. Could this have triggered the infection?

Hallo Anon
The blood tests test for Herpes antibodies, which does not always test positive early in the infection. The blood test can only determine whether a person has been previously infected by HSV and has produced antibodies to the virus and is not an indication of an acute infection. The swab may be more specific. See also http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/herpes_tests.htm
Herpes is not easy to diagnose but if you have the typical blisters when you have the rash, plus the positive swab, you probably have had a herpes infection (it is the same virus that gives cold sores of the mouth and can be transferred from the mouth to the vagina)

2
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/11

Hallo Anon

Reply to cyberdoc
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/11

Hallo Anon

Reply to cyberdoc