Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2008/08/28

HPV Immunisation

I asked a question relating to HPV and males. Doc, you said that most men do not display symptoms. I just want to make sure that you are including the wart-causing strains in that statement... Do most men not develop warts?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved use of the first HPV vaccine (marketed as Gardasil®) for boys or men. There are currently no data demonstrating that the vaccine can protect males from getting genital warts or developing HPV-related cancers (such as cancer of the penis, which is rare), or that it can prevent transmission of the virus to women.