Question
Posted by: Pierre | 2010/03/01

HPV - Genital Warts

Hi, i recently came out of a relationship which ended in a broken engagement, where my partner had a history of HPV. During the entire period where we were sexually active she never had any visible warts or outbreaks. She went for regular check-ups at her gynie and at one stage had a wart burn off inside her vagina. its been 2 months since our last encounter and we were sexually active for at least one year. I have never noticed any warts on myself and havnt had any itching etc etc, i am as i have always been. Am i at risk of passing the disease to any future relationships or partners and is there any way i can test myself?

Expert ImageAgeing and Sexuality expert

Thank you for being such a responsible sexual person-:) As was your ex- so good to hear.

Indeed you need to go for tests as HPV can be asymptomatic- just sit there quietly for years and at a certain stressful period of your life, jumps out at you. If you are clear you are indeed lucky as it is pretty infectious even when safer sex is practiced.
I suggest you request from your health care provider having a battery of STI tests including HPV. And you need to have a HIV test done too as this is polite way to begin a new relationship - and of course your new partner should do the same tests.

If you test positive for any STI become informed - not paranoid and aversive to sex. Informed and responsible. Just as it seems your ex did . HPV is tricky as even when there are no visible signs of an outbreak on an infected person, shedding can occur which is invisible and yet highly infectious. yet condoms offer much protection so of course using condoms- even if you are infection free now- is non - negotiable.

1
Posted by: Ageing and Sexuality expert | 2010/03/14

Reply to Ageing and Sexuality expert