Posted by: Mama | 2009-02-20

HPV and pregnancy

I am a 33 yr old female single ( in a stable relationship of three years) and no children yet.
Used to do my papsmears yearly until my gynecologists advised me to skip two to three years as i don' t have a baby and the tests always come clear. Last year after 2 yrs i did one and it showed HPV high grade. I had the procedure called LLETZ done last week friday.

My gynecologist advised me to have a baby ASAP as i might be infected again. I know there is no cure for this and can' t be treated. How do i live with this virus in my body? Is it advisable to have a baby at all? Will i soon die from this virus? i am so confused and stressed as i have been always careful used condoms and have HIV tests yearly, i never knew about this virus that isn' t curable! Do i need a special diet to control it or medication? My partner is going to be tested soon.

Will appreciate your help here on this!

HPV virus is a risk factor for cervical cancer and can cause genital warts. Other than this it is not life threatening. Though it is not curable, the symptoms can be treated as you have had done. You will need regular pap smears and this should pick up any early changes in the cervix. There is no reason not to have a baby. Diet doesn't really help but a healthy lifestyle will boost your immune system.