Question
Posted by: ??? | 2012-05-22

HPV

Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed with having HPV type 16... how many people have this? I feel very depressed and I feel like i have been sexually ruined... I am a really beautiful woman but now thanks to hpv I feel like my inside is ugly and durty. I mean how many would want to have intercourse with someone like me ... NO ONE.

I am 26 years old and this has ruined me I can never have sex again:o( and it is unfair as I have never slept around I have been in 3 relationships and I had loads of sex with all 3 but NEVER had multiple partners.

I am really depro...

please go see a therapist / psychologist asap! they will be able to help you overcome your feelings of isolation and depression. once you regain your self-esteem, you can still engage with a healthy sex life through following a number of safety precautions.

8
Posted by: Gillian | 2012-05-31

HPV is a very common sexually transmitted infection. If I recall correctly around 1/3 of sexually active people have or have had an HPV. Unfortunately because it is transmitted by skin to skin contact, simple barrier methods such as using a condom only reduce the chance of infection.

There are many HPV types, including types which are associated with genital warts. HPV16 is not associated with genital warts. HPV16 is, however, associated with cervical cancer. In young healthy women 90% of infections clear within 2 years, this means that your immune system gets rid of the virus completely. In some cases, however, the HPV16 remains and becomes a permanent problem incorporating itself into your cells, first causing precancerous lesions and then cervical cancer. This means that if you have HPV16, you should go for regular PAP smears so that any changes to your cervical cells can be picked up early. Treatment is very simple and successful if applied at early stages. In women with HIV there is a far greater likelihood of progression to cancer, so please also do check your HIV status.

It''s not common to be diagnosed as having " HPV16" , usually the virus subtype would only be tested for if there is already evidence of precancerous cell changes or cancer, as seen in a PAP smear. Please check with your doctor what the case is for you. If you already have cell changes, you need to be treated as soon as possible, as this vastly improves the outcomes. If for some reason you were tested for HPV and the virus was found, but you have no symptoms, then it is important to check often that you do not have cell changes (with PAP smears). It is likely that your infection will in fact clear, and not be a long-term problem. Check with your doctor whether for example, yearly screening would be appropriate - PAP smears to check for cancer and whatever method was used (probably PCR or a kit) to test for virus subtype.

As for your sex-life I would recommend that you bear in mind that a large proportion of sexually active adults have an HPV. However, before sexual activity with a new partner it would be a courtesy to inform them of it. In addition, there are two HPV vaccines on the market: Cervarix and Gardasil. These are expensive, but they protect against the HPV types 16 and 18, which are associated with 70% of cervical cancer cases. Your partner may find it helpful to have a course (I think it''s 3 injections) of one of these vaccines. One of the vaccines also protects against the two main HPVs that cause genital warts. Although obviously cervical cancer is only a problem for women this may be helpful both to protect future partners of a man, but also because HPV is associated with oral, anal and penile cancers. You could also take one of these vaccines, it will not help against HPV16, as you are already infected, but can still protect against the other subtypes it is formulated against. Please do some further research so that you are better able to deal with this, and to talk to future lovers.

I second the sexologist''s advice to go for counselling, neither your life, nor your sex-life, is over.

Note: I used to work on an HPV research project, and everything I stated is easily verifiable.

Reply to Gillian
Posted by: Anon | 2012-05-31

Make an appointment to see Dr Lynette Denny at Groote Schuur hosp. She is the world expert on HPV in SA and is very straighforward but also very kind in the way she treats you - really!!! Google will confuse and scare the s**t out of you.

Posted by: Tanya | 2012-05-24

@ Sandy. HPV is commonly known as Genital Warts. Google this and see pictures - charming little fellows these!!!!!
Anyone for sex????

Reply to Tanya
Posted by: Tanya | 2012-05-24

Absolutely agree with Mandisa.
Go and get treatment before you spread this infection to your next lover who, in turn, will spread it his next lover, ad infinitum.
Also give up all 3 present sex partners because you dont know which one infected you.

Reply to Tanya
Posted by: mandisa | 2012-05-22

As far as sexually transmitted disease/s are concerned I thought it was a well-known fact that when you have sex with 1 person, you actually have sex with everyone they have had sex with, and so on, and so on.
So have sex with 1, they have had sex with 6, so you have had sex with 7 people. Have sex with 3 they have had sex with 6 each so you have had sex with 21 people!.......
. .....so 1+1=2, come on people wake up now!!

Reply to mandisa
Posted by: SANDY | 2012-05-22

Or rather HPV sorry

Reply to SANDY
Posted by: SANDY | 2012-05-22

Hey ???... what is HVP if i may ask?

Reply to SANDY
Posted by: sexologist | 2012-05-22

Reply to sexologist