Question
Posted by: Worried sick | 2011-10-11

HPV

I was diagnosed with high-risk HPV earlier this year, then had the abnormal cervial cells removed.
Would that mean that the HPV is cured?
And is it possible to re-contract the same strain from a sex partner after the surgical procedure? I''m asking this because I recently experienced what ''felt'' like genital warts for about a week and couldn''t see my gynae. The symptoms were burning, very sensitive bumps on the vulva - around the same area that I experienced problems before being diagnosed with HPV and the cervical dysplasia (SP). I''m due for my next pap smear in a month. Could I have re-contracted the HPV from my long-term partner?

HPV is never cured. Only the symptoms - genital warts and abnormal cells in the cervix - can be treated. If you think you have genital warts, this is probably the result of the HPV which is still there, rather than that you have recontracted it.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-10-17