Question
Posted by: Conrad | 2011/01/12

HPV

I am back from leave and was browsing though the previous posts and saw a post about HPV and anal cancer, posted by Serious in November. This scares me because I''ve had some anal warts removed: does this mean that I am at risk of developing anal cancer? Is the vaccine against anal cancer available in SA? How can I get it?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Conrad and thanks for posting.

Anal and genital warts are fairly common and are caused by a virus referred to as HPV. And yes, anal warts do increase the risk of anal cancer. There is a vaccine to prevent such warts but the problem is that it must be administered prior to any contact with the virus. This means that a person should be vaccinated before they become sexually active.

1
Posted by: gay, lesbian and bisexual expert | 2011/01/20

Hi Conrad and thanks for posting.

Reply to gay, lesbian and bisexual expert