Question
Posted by: kelly | 2010/06/15

HPV

I contracted HPV when I was 19 years old. I got genital warts that were burnt off. I am now 30 years old and they have not returned.

I heard that HPV stays in your body forever - will this affect my chances of having a baby?

I also heard it is the main cause of cervical cancer - I go for a pap smear once per yer and so far they have all been clear. Is this the only type of cancer it can cause? How does one get treated for cervical cancer? Is it radiation / medication/ surgery?

I am worried about developing cervical cancer - would it be a good idea to have a baby and then just have the cervix and womb removed?

HPV will not affect your chances of having a baby. There are different types of HPV and usually the type which causes genital warts does not cause cervical cancer but, unless you have typing done it is best to continue with regular pap smears. This way, precancerous cells will be picked up early and the treatment is then usually laser.

2

Posted by: me | 2010/06/17

Hi Kelly, if you have not had an outbreak of warts again in 11 years your body has most probably grown immune to that specific strain of HPV. Most people grow immune to a specific hpv (warts) strain within 2 - 5 years. But you will always have that virus in your body although it is dorman and you are now immune to it. Please note that the strain that causes warts do NOT cause servical cancer. Most people who have the hpv strain that causes cancer and not warts dont even know they have it! So I would think you should be clear to have a baby. There is although always a chance that you have another hpv strain (that causes the cancer and not warts) but IF your pap smear is normal then I feel very positive you have nothing to worry about!

Reply to me