Posted by: Martha | 2009-05-13

HPV. ?

Hellow doctor,
My partner was diagnosed with HPV and I m seven months pregnant, I dont have any symptoms and according my scans and blood test, everything is fine. I would like to ask whether ths virus can be passed on to my baby? Is there any permanent treatments? My boyfriend was told that he is going through burning treatment, is this permanent treatment?

Hallo Martha
It is only dangerous to your baby if you have warts in the vagina. When the baby is born, and fluid from the vagina gets swallowed, this can cause warty growths on the baby's vocal cords. So ask your doctor/gyne to check for signs of warts. HPV is a virus and is not curable ( there is no medicine for it) However, the body's immune system often kills the virus, so we treat only the physical growths. It is possible that the growths could return, so if he tests positive for the HPV virus and you are negative, rather use condoms as protection if possible or get a Gardacil vaccine after delivery of your baby.