Question
Posted by: Rebecca | 2011/07/14

Howl when excited

Whenever I take my dog for a walk she gets so excited that she sort of cries and howls the whole way! I would love to know how to get her to stop doing that! She upsets all the dogs in the neighbourhood and people have asked me before what I have done to her.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Rebecca, she is just so excited that she is totally 'over the top' and any attention you pay to the behaviour will just increase it! what you need to do is go all the way back to basics. When you get out the lead to take her and she starts performing, drop lead on floor and turn your back to her. when she stops, pick up lead again. This will probably take several tries until successful, but it does get easier. Work on this basis, and when the howling has stopped there, take ONE step and if she is quiet, another step, but if any howling starts, stop and done look at her, duge , talk until the howling has stopped. You then work slowly at increasing the distance and any howling results in an immediate stop and ignoring until the behaviour stops. She will quickly realize that howling stops the walk. In the interum, she will be missing her nice long walks, so spend a bit of extra time playing with her with physical games to tire her out. When you are out walking with her, start to bring in some basic exercises every 40/50 metres of asking her to sit/stay/wait/down etc. This will improve your relationship, and give her something else to think about rather than howling.
Many people may say, give her a ball or something to hold in her mouth instead, but i personally feel that this is not solving the basic problem.
I would also suggest bringing in some basic house rules, getting her to 'work for her living' by (e.g) sitting for attention, sitting for food etc) to raise you up in the hierarchy. Good luck and do let me know how it goes and remember to be totally consistent otherwise you will just go back to the beginning again@ Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/07/18

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert