Posted by: Heartbroken | 2009-01-27

How will you feel

Good day

I just got our payslips now because im the one who does the filing,enveloping and capturing of those payslips. I just found out that the other secretary who is working at our other province in our office has just been given a salary increase. Here is how im being treated. Firstly she does nothing in that office because we do not have any jobs that side she is just there to be in the office and answer the phones. Her basic salary was more than mine and she does not even know how to use a computer as she started by going for a week training of word and excel. She was getting R4500 me i was on R4385.

When she was about to come they gave me a car allowance of R3000.00 because they knew she was coming and i wont complain. Then today they gave her R5800.00 so how will you feel if you were treated like this? I always make sure that i do my job very well and i excell in everything i do. I also sacrifice for this office but is this how i am being treated. If i had something i would be resigning and starting to find a job as i feel that i am being treated unfairly.

She only started her job in July 2008 and i have been here for 6 years. I just want to check with you if i am over reacting or can i tell my boss or what should i do. If he would say its because of performance i would say he is a cheat cos i know im good at what i do and that lady is there for the sake of an office. Please assist me.

If i resign will it be a good reason for leaving the job? I also have 24 days for leave days that i should take so i need to know if its possible for me to resign and find anothe job?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You have no right in law to demand the same payment for the same job. It might be worth you having a private chat to your boss in order to enquire if you are in line for an increase.

This is not a good reason to resign, but if you do resign you are entitled to be paid out all your leave pay.

Posted by: Andy | 2009-01-30

I have learned the hard way,that the workplace is the last place where one can expect to find fairness.I also have aproxomitely 30 years good loyal and diligent service with a large organisation,and am confronted with the situation of people with less than half my knowledge and/or expertise,experience etc receiving remuneration equaling and/or exceeding mine.
Although the situation is unfair,I have learned to concern myself with doing my job to the best of my ability,not for the companies sake,but out of my own sense of duty and for my own satisfaction.Unfortunately,I have often seen some of the best workers being treated the worst,and vice versa.Although being unfair,and unethical,I beoieve that a sort of favouritism/or sort of nepatism still exists in the workplace today.Sadly,many managers and/or business owners fail to reaise that skilled and dedicated employees are their most valuable assets

Reply to Andy
Posted by: Me too | 2009-01-29

Hi there Heartbroken  I know exactly how U feel, been through that myself. For yrs. we' ve been unhappy in our dept. so I decided that end of 2008 I would take early pension but not definite yet. Then 1 day a college told me to look in a file lying on a new guy' s desk. His letter of appointment was there + I was shocked 2 see they started him with R800.00 more on his basic than I was getting. When he started there I' d been there 21 yrs already, he is exactly 1/2 my age + has only 1/4 of my experience. The college who told me had been there 32 yrs + he was also very unhappy about it. Then 29 Sept. 2008 ( supposed to be increase month) I got a letter with my payslip with a story about " adverse financial conditions"  being the reason for our poor increases. Mine was R200.00 increase. After lunch I handed my letter to my dept. manager stating that I' m taking early pension. I cannot understand why companies don' t look after their old loyal staff. Since then 3 of us have left + now that dept. is struggling with incompetant staff + plenty of complaints from customers.

Reply to Me too