Question
Posted by: Heart Broken | 2009-01-27

How will you feel

Good day

I just got our payslips now because im the one who does the filing,enveloping and capturing of those payslips. I just found out that the other secretary who is working at our other province in our office has just been given a salary increase. Here is how im being treated. Firstly she does nothing in that office because we do not have any jobs that side she is just there to be in the office and answer the phones. Her basic salary was more than mine and she does not even know how to use a computer as she started by going for a week training of word and excel. She was getting R4500 me i was on R4385.

When she was about to come they gave me a car allowance of R3000.00 because they knew she was coming and i wont complain. Then today they gave her R5800.00 so how will you feel if you were treated like this? I always make sure that i do my job very well and i excell in everything i do. I also sacrifice for this office but is this how i am being treated. If i had something i would be resigning and starting to find a job as i feel that i am being treated unfairly.

Let's se what other readers, experienced in office warfare, can advise here. It does sound as though the other person has recevied an extraordinary raise ( epecially in these times of economic hardship ) --- is there an HR person, or supervisor, or maybe your boss, you could discuss this with, and ask for an explanation of the apparent anomaly ?

3
Posted by: TMan | 2009-01-28

I know where you are coming from. In my case, where I wok I was literally running the office while the manager was out there doing her thing. The office ran smooth all year long and then came bonus time and guesse who got it? my manager. All the crediti went to her and none of us in the office got any thank you for our hard work.

Now you ask youself....how can a snr official be offered a huge bonus without any of the surbodinates getting any. Is the performance management system in companies or departments for the selected few? Talk to your superiors and if nothing is done, this only means one thing....its time to go. Go where your services will be appreciated , I know every workplace has it own challenges but someday you will get to place where your seniors will see you as an important member of staff and will reward you accordingly.

Reply to TMan
Posted by: sunflower | 2009-01-27

I agree with Bob' s girlfriend. It is inevitable that other people doing the same job will be paid more or less than we are. SOmetimes this depends on negotiation, perhaps she requested the increase.

If you are working so hard then you are entitiled to ask for an increase and if it does not happen then you can start looking for something else where you will be better paid. Just make sure that if you get something else, you leave on good terms. But at least try and negotiate for a better package first based on your own performance and the value that you are bringing to the company.

Good luck.

Reply to sunflower
Posted by: Bob' s Girlfriend | 2009-01-27

If you did not see this would you have had a problem?

In a magazine last week I read an article " 10 things your boss won' t say to you"  and one of them is I THINK YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB DO YOU WANT AN INCREASE?

You need to prepare yourself and then go to your boss and ask for a raise and if it' s refused ask the reasons and then deceide are they valid - do you need to improve yourself or do you need to find another job.

And if you are prepared to work hard there are lots of jobs....

Reply to Bob&#39 s Girlfriend