Posted by: Lolly | 2009-03-16

How to track ovulation when on clomid

I will be starting clomid on Wednesday. When using clomid, does one ovulate on cd14? My cycles aren' t regular &  are usually between 30 &  34 days in length. This cycle was 32 days. I am travelling from the 30th March. This will be cd16. Will I still have a chance of conceiving if we have intercourse on the 28th, 29th &  30th March?

Or should I not start the clomid this month &  wait until another cycle?

Dear Lolly,

In general if the appropriate dose of clomid is used and for the correct indication then often ovulation would occur earlier. I would therefore recommend testing from day 10 of the cycle onwards and it may be in some cases necessary to use 2 ovulation-monitoring kits. Since healthy sperm have a lifespan in the female genital tract of at least 4 days this would adequately cover the ovulation window period.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Lolly | 2009-03-23

good luck wetta.

Reply to Lolly
Posted by: wetta | 2009-03-21

Hi ladies
I was on clomid twice trying to fall pregnant I had doner sperm inplant and it did not work. I started my clomid on day 2 of my cicle
The docter that I am seeing gives me a ingection the same time to bring my ovulation on.
Going to try again please hold thums and say a little prayer

Reply to wetta
Posted by: Lolly | 2009-03-20

Hi Dea,

I know what the pamphlet says. I was wondering wether taking the clomid on different days makes a difference to when you ovulate. I am taking it from cd3. I use a 7 day OPK. Costs about R190 at Dischem.

Good luck to you!

Reply to Lolly
Posted by: AA | 2009-03-20

Clomid made my cycles longer and I only ovulate on CD18....

Reply to AA
Posted by: Dea | 2009-03-18

Hi there, I have also been on Clomid. In the leaflet it says that ovulation usually occurs between 5-12 days from the day after you drank the LAST pill. I suggest you buy a pack of ovulation predictor kits (there are usually 5 in one kit) from any pharmacy - they cost about R83.00. Start taking them in the 4-12 day window. Maybe Day 4, 5, 7, 9, 10. The test strip' s colour MUST however be darker than the control line' s colour or the same. If it is lighter than the control line' s colour it doesn' t mean you are ovulating as your body permanently has the lutenizing hormone, which the predictor kit searches for to predict ovulation. Also, an ovulation kit, if the line is darker or the same colour as the control line, usually indicates that ovulation is going to occur within the next 12-36 hours. That' s how you' ll know when to time intercourse!!

Reply to Dea