Question
Posted by: Jenzie | 2008-11-01

how to tone up, get long slender muscles

I run and swim, not enough I know, but I am trying to build it up. What is the best way and what type of exercise is the best to get thin, and firm, slender muscles. As a girl, I' m very scared of becoming bulking. I would like to look thin and petite but be fit and healthy. I lack energy, I continuously feel drained and like I don' t have enough energy to do anything....

What do I do?

Thank you!

Hi Jenzie

You're on the right track, so I wouldn't change anything right now. You just have to keep it going, because you're already doing the right type of training, it's just a matter of getting the volume and frequency up now.

Swimming and running won't bulk you up, though you can expect to develop some muscle. But that's a good thing, very different from actually bulking up.

As for your lack of energy, that is likely a diet related issue. I suspect that you probably have added training without also compensating for the dietary requirements, and you would do well to consider seeing a dietician about this. Just to make sure that you are getting all the energy you need - what is most important is the type of food you eat, and the timing. You have to eat enough to allow training, and at the right times to prevent you from going through lows during the day.

So my advice is see a dietician about that. But for the xercise, you're on track. You just need to figure out how to build up. And for that, I'd recommend getting yourself onto a training programme of some kind, so that you have a goal to guide you. Check out the Fitness page of this site, and then click on "Programmes" and you'll find a host to choose from.

I hope that helps