Posted by: Sanet | 2009-06-11

How to teach puppy to sleep through?

Is it possible to teach a puppy to sleep through? We have a 12 week old foxterrier puppy and he wakes us up 3 to 4 times a night to go out to do its business. Must we change his feeding habits? We feed him in the mornings and the evenings and there is always food and water available throughout the night if he feels like eating.

Secondly I want to train him not to run out the gate when I get home. What is the best way to do this? At the moment I have to open the gate a little bit, grab him and put him in my lap while driving into the garage. I am worried that he will expect to be picked up when he is bigger as well.

Thanks Doc.

Dear Sanet

For general info buy a book or go to puppy classes.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-11

A 12-week-old puppy should be on 4 meals a day. He needs to be taken outside after each meal, until he' s done his business. If he has his last meal at say 10 pm, followed by a potty stop, he should be ok.

Leaving food available for him all the time is not a good idea. You do not want him growing too fast - it' s not good.

Re the gate business - I wouldn' t risk it - I' d rather pick him up or whatever it takes - an accident takes only one second to happen.

Reply to Chill

First of all stop leaving him food through the night. Feed him at about 5-6.00pm if that is possible. Also take him outside as late as possible at night to do his business