Question
Posted by: Shoes | 2011/02/19

How to switch off

Hi CS,

I need some tips please on how to switch off to go to sleep. I am really tired, perhaps over tired but as soon as my head hits the pillow I have a thousand thoughts going on in my head. I cannot deal with those problems there and then and try to push them out of my head. I lie awake for about 4 hours before I fall asleep.

I am getting up about 4 times a night for my small children and my brain is also trained to listen out for when they cry, so I lie awake most of the night, waiting for the cries.

I need to train my brain to chill out as my body is tired and I really need some sleep. I have tried reading before sleeping, but did not have much joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

First, prepare for sleep. Finish work or any worrying or stimulating activity hours earlier. Alcohol makes you drowsy bu then tends to have you bounce back awake only a couple of hours laker, so not a good idea. Avoid all stimulating drinks by around 4 pm - coffee, tea, cola or anything with caffeine. And wind down with acceptable but rather dull and boring activity - DSTC with its endless repeats of dreadful programming, works well for me. Or a worthy but dull book. And drink a pleasing milky drink - milk helps one sleep.
If you lie down and find your mind still whirring, concentrate on a specific relaxing routine - in your mind picture one by one each major bnody area, of muscle group, briefly tense it and then relax it. Work your way from top to bottom ( or vice versa ). Better than counting sheep, especially with the price of lamb and mutton these days. If you finish this routine and are still awake, start again.
If those worrying ideas enter your mind, picture them like annoying flies buzzing in, and swat them.
Don't wait for the kids to cry, let yourself go to sleep - you will awake just as well if they cry, and you'll be in much better condition to be helpful when you do. Lying awake waiting for them to cry is a recipe for exhaustion, and not necessary.

1