Posted by: Rolinda Schoeman | 2009-07-28

How to stop taking Mirtazapine

Hi, I have been using Mirtazapine from may 2006 - I struggled severly with insomnia and went to a doctor who subscribed this.I am sure I dont need it anymore and the main reason for why I would like to stop the treatment is weight gain and constipation - I also get the ringing ears once a year.I am also at a better place in my life and I am sure I am ready to come of the treatment.I stopped it cold turkey before ( I am only using 7.5mg) and was fine for a week - thereafter I started struggling again to fall asleep.Is this just a temporary withdrawal symptom and how long will it last? How do you suggest I get off the treatment the second time around?Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Hallo Rolinda
Try to slowly wean yourself off it - take half dosages for 10 days, then 1/2 every other day for 10 days, then 1/2 every other 3 days for ten days and then try stopping. Some medication may cause rebound insomnia if stopped too quickly.