how to stop my dogs from barking

my pooches are not puppies anymore, they are adult sausage dogs.
they drive me insane with their constant barking. any ideas??

Dear Anon

You are probably not taking them for enough walks and are not interacting with them enough.

we' ve been using the citronella collar for a while now and i have to just clarify that the smell does not stick on the dog at all, the spray is directed away from the dog' s face. it' s more about the sound than physically hitting the dog in the face with a spray of citrnella. unfortunately i do not know enough about the static collar to pass an educated assessment of the situation. my neighbour however did use that sort of collar, and she says her dog was severly traumatised due to the shocking sensation, and has now switched to the citronella collar. it MUST be noted that the collar is NOT for 24/7 wear but ONLY for the times that the pet is liable to bark. the collar is in NO WAY a supplement for personal contact and exercise with your pet which would in all likelyhood sort the problem out.

Posted by: Gavin | 2009-05-21

citronella anti-bark collars are an option, but you have to be there to wipe the citronella off the dogs face asap otherwise they have to suffer that smell around their nose all day! try instead a static anti-bark collar or a outdoor bark unit from a pet' s life online pet shop. our GSD was becoming a problem child of the neighborhood but now knows better and we don' t even have the collar on her all the time anymore!

Reply to Gavin

You need to see a behaviourist. do they bark when you leave them alone or all the time? we have a sausage dog and she barks terribly when we leave home so we use a collar that sprays citronella when she barks. we ONLY put it on when we go out, its not on all the time. in fact she' s learned not to bark when the collar is on, so we dont even put the batteries in any longer, but she knows when the collar is on its time to keep quiet. we also have a routine with here whereby we dont say goodbye, we leave quietly without making a scene, and when we get home we dont do lots of hugs etc we just come in and get on with things, that way she has started to understand that us coming and going is nothing to get excited about. its also super important to walk your pets to get rid of excess energy.