Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2010-08-28

How to stop hurting myself

I used to be very unhappy when I was in my teens and I used to cut myself. I try not to do it anymore (the last time was a few months ago, I smashed a bottle against the wall until it cut my hand a bit). But now, I think because I try control my emotions a bit more, when I do let my emotions go I end up hurting myself in different ways. I end up hitting myself against the wall or doors. I hit my hands and just kinda throw my body against the wall. I can''t control my emotions in public, I have to walk away &  go cry somewhere or I just go home. I get quite upset when I''m with my boyfriend or someone else &  they just talks to other people the whole time. I have issues, I know. How do I control my emotions better?

Self-harm as a response to stress or feeling bad is, as I'm sure you have found, really not a good way to cope with such situations. Seeing a pychologist, to work out better ways both to avoid avoidable stress, and to deal with other stress that arises, would be so much wiser.

1