Question
Posted by: Jan | 2012-11-13

How to stop dogs from digging up garden, grass and pot plants

How can one get tyour dog to stop digging!

One has to except that digging is normal behaviour for dogs. They often dig because the ground helps regulate temperatures – the ground is cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather.
It might also be aggravated when your dog is bored. In this instance it is a good idea to provide toys that he likes to play with. You must also spend a lot of time with your dog – play with him or take him for walks.
In extreme cases it might be a sign of stress or anxiety. (You did not indicate if there was anything that changed at home). If this is caused by stress, then the behaviour can be treated with medication. Ask your veterinarian for advice!
(Information from the "Ask your vet" book written by Drs Sunelle Strydom and Faffa Malan)

1
Posted by: Yello | 2012-11-30

I have stopped my terriers digging mainly by burying their poop in the holes that they dig. Alos, if I see them digging I will tell them I dont want them to do it. And if I have a squirt bottle handy I squirt them with water. They eventually get the message :)

Reply to Yello