Posted by: Richard | 2009-06-26

how to stop

tips on how to stop the cycle, have a couple drinks and invariably leads to taking something, no matter how committed when sober

Expert ImageArchive

This is why I generally advocate the total abstinence model - you cannot control alcohol - as it will ultimately control you... in working therapetutically with substance dependents .... I normally use the analogy that it is like being allergic - you are allergic to alcohol and all forms of psychoactive substances, and when one is allergic to anything, for example milk, what does one do... you make the necessary lifestyle changes and cut out all dairly products.<br><br>You are in essence then 'allergic' to alcohol - be it for whatever reason (physiological, psychological and/or genetic predisposition) - and the safest route to go is not to try and 'control' your alcohol use - but to completely abstain and make the necessary life-style changes so that you minimise the relapse risks (we actually refer to this in the field as a 'controlled relapse' - the individual in recovery begins to feel confident again and that they are in conrol of everything in their life, so they rationalise to themselves that they do not have a reason to go overboard... so now they can 'control' their alcohol consumption.... but before they know it, they are back to where the stopped, and progress in their addiction). Remember - alcohol dependence is classified as a chronic relapsing disorder - so you need to stive to be in remission, and to remain so - so that you lead a happy normal life (as long as you stay away from alcohol).<br><br>I would also suggest that you obtain professional input from a mental health professional and join a support group such as AA or CAD.