Posted by: Richard | 2009-06-26

how to stop

tips on how to stop the cycle, have a couple drinks and invariably leads to taking something, no matter how committed when sober

Expert ImageArchive

This is why I generally advocate the total abstinence model - you cannot control alcohol - as it will ultimately control you... in working therapetutically with substance dependents .... I normally use the analogy that it is like being allergic - you are allergic to alcohol and all forms of psychoactive substances, and when one is allergic to anything, for example milk, what does one do... you make the necessary lifestyle changes and cut out all dairly products.

You are in essence then 'allergic' to alcohol - be it for whatever reason (physiological, psychological and/or genetic predisposition) - and the safest route to go it not to try and 'control' you alcohol use - but to completely abstain and make the necessary life style changes so that you minimise the risks relapse (we actually refer to this in the field as a 'controlled relapse - the individual in recovery begins to feel confident again and that they are in conrol of everything in their life, so they rationalise to themselves that they do not have a reason to go overboard... so now they can 'control' their alcohol consumption.... but before they know it, they are back to where the stopped, and progress in their addiction). Remember - alcohol dependence is classified as a chronic relapsing disorder - so you need to stive to be in remission, and to remain so - so that you have have an happy normal life (as long as you stay away from alcohol).

I would also suggest that you obtain professional input from a mental health professional and join a support group such as AA or CAD.

Posted by: MDK | 2009-06-28

Alcohol is impairing your judgment. Beergoggles. Dutch Courage. Karate Water.

Replacing alcohol with something else could just be creating a larger problem, so try drinking less first. And yes the issue of what and when it is enough is the REAL issue. Self control does ebb with inebriation, so you have to get that balance right - and no it' s not easy!

Reply to MDK
Posted by: Dyllon | 2009-06-26

Find a replacement activity for alcohol and then your other problems should disapear... don' t ask me what, i am in the same boat.

Reply to Dyllon