Question
Posted by: miekie | 2011/02/17

How to stay positive, feels like a fake

Good day prof
How to stay positive with chronic heart disease? Am seeing a psychiatrist, on meds, having chronic pain due to heart meds and having angina. I can''t function normally without having to fake it. Its difficult to be positive when having pain throughout my body constantly. Can''t sit ,sleep, or drive very far .I''m only 46 but feel 100. There''s currently not much they can do about my symptoms because I''ve heart disease as well as arthritis. I''m active, doing a bit of yoga, water aerobics and shopping. Your input would be appreciated.

In m own experience of chronic illnesses and pain, in myself and in patients, of course i's not reasy. But it is possible.
In a way, one edits one's life, focussing on the things one can still do and enjoy, and no longer relying on those one can't. You are already doing some excellent things, with the yoga, water aerobics, and so on. The more one focusses on whatever one can't now do,the more trapped one feels ; so one focusses on what one can do - I collect DVD's of brilliant international older films, for instance, superb work without car chases or explosions !

1