Question
Posted by: EL | 2008/09/27

How to start

My dad and mom ran a lot of marathons in their life, but I haven' t. I always wanted to do a 21km, but I struggle to even go for a 5km run. I also want to do the comrades next year, I just always wanted to run the comrades. How should I start training to to be a really good and fast runner? I don' t have weight problems, so that is not standing in my way. Thanks

Hi EL

First things first, you have to start with a small goal. I think it's great that you want to do Comrades, but start much lower than this - pick a 10km race and go for that. Now, in terms of the programme, put Comrades out of your mind and focus on preparing only for the 10km race. THere are programmes available on the Health24 site, under "fitness" and then "programmes". There is a 10km programme there. I would start at that. If you find it's too easy for you, then simply jump ahead to week 5 or 6, and you'll get to 10km much sooner. Once you've done that, then you're ready to roll into the 21km programme. Here, you pick another event, maybe Two Oceans, and you start buildling towards it. But cross that bridge when you arrive there. For now, let's get the 10km out the way, and then assess...

Ross