Question
Posted by: Mark1968 | 2008/10/02

How to report places -Anti-smoking laws

I often find some restaurants in Cape Town who merely seperate smokers from non-smokers in different parts of the restaurant, or the smokers are seated outside and their smoke is blown inside into the non-smoking section. Or restaurants who allow people to smoke " at the bar"  and only take action if a patron complains.

1. What does the law say about smoking " at the bar"  or " next to the grill" ?
2. Most importantly, where and how do you report a restaurant that is breaking the law. Do you have to go to the police or is there a Govt Dept that can take action.

Mark

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

We've come a long way with our anti-smoking laws, but a lot of restaurant venues are still taking a chance...partly because non-smokers don't complain enough!

The law states: in all public venues, and on public transport, no more than 25% of the space can be designated a smoking area. That area needs to be physically isolated from the rest of the interior i.e. it needs to be enclosed and the smoky air vented to the exterior of the building.

You can report restaurants that are breaking the law to the Environmental Health Department of local government. The City of Cape Town's Health Directorate number dedicated to tobacco law compliance is 021 400 4291.

5
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/26

Was at Ferreiras Restaurant in Boksburg and had to eat while people are smoking around me.... disgusting

Posted by: eric achuko | 2009/05/18

please help i dont no what to do after haven' t purchased
british american tobacco product for consumption only find out
is a defect product.

Reply to eric achuko
Posted by: Mark | 2008/11/12

What about at home? I want police to come and arrest my wife cause she puffs up the whole place and everything stinks of smoke, I cannot handle it anymore and she will not smoke outside because according to her she pays half the rent ....

Reply to Mark
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2008/10/23

Yes, the law is supposed to apply to casinos too. Supposed to...

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert
Posted by: Miere | 2008/10/22

Would this also apply to casino' s ? As the smoking area is usally located in the centre and the dorrs are wide open. One can smell the smoke when you enter the front door.

Reply to Miere