Posted by: Lee | 2009-05-08

How to put ON weight healthily?

Hi, how can I put on a little weight as I think my metabolism is really fast cause no matter what I eat or how much, I don' t put on a gram!!! I' m not very thin, just feel a little thin at times and wanna put on about 5-10 kg' s. I' m 23, 142cm tall and weigh 55kg' s. If I take a supplement (ensure) as well as eat, will that help? Thanks...

Dear Lee
I am a bit puzzled because your present BMI = 27,2 -which is already above the normal upper limit. Are you sure you are 142 cm tall? If you are much taller and have a BMI below 20 then you can follow the advice for gaining weight. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. But all this only applies if you are taller and have a low BMI !

Posted by: Lee | 2009-05-11

Sorry, I' m actually 172cm tall...

Reply to Lee