Question
Posted by: Lolly | 2008/10/15

How to Plan a pregnancy

Hi, my husband and I, both 25 years old want to plan our first baby. Please can you help with the steps to be fllowed to do so. When do I stop the contraception. For how long? etc Thanks!

Dear Lolly

If you are using an oral contraceptive pill then your fertility potential is almost immediately on stopping the oral contraceptive pill. If however you are using an injectable form of contraception then the return to fertility can take up to 6 months after stopping the injection. After stopping the oral contraceptive most couples will conceive within 6-9 months of stopping the contraception. You should only be of concern if you haven’t fallen pregnant after of 1 year of stopping the contraceptive providing that you are having regular intercourse and you menstrual cycles are regular as well.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo