Question
Posted by: Zoo | 2010/02/17

How to phase in contact from an absent father?

My child is 20months old and her father left us when she was only 6months old. At that point I allowed him to see her every second weekend for 2hrs. He only made contact two times since he left and the last time he saw her was in April 2009 (10months ago) he now again wants to make contact with her. My concern is that my child is at a bonding stage and I can’ t allow him to be in and out of her life like it suits him. So I said to him she doesn’ t know him and that I will allow him one hour a month and see how she reacts to this. I also said to him it will all depend on my daughter therefore I can’ t tell him how long this arrangement will be. As can be expected he is not happy with this.
My question: How do I Phase in the contact as I want the best for my child?

LIza's suggestion sounds right - get the SW advice, and potentially an agreement administered by the court. The court is there to help make decisions decided for the benefit of the child.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/17

If I were you, I would go and see a social worker at family court and ensure that any visits he has, is under supervision. Then if he doesn' t skip any visits, the visits can perhaps become longer without supervision. You have to make it very clear to him however that if he skips a visit - that' s it - You' ll get a court order to keep him out of her life.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza